Managing your transactions
You’re in control
This page explains how transactions work behind-the-scenes – what happens once the customer has completed their checkout session and how to view and manage your transactions.
How payments are processed
- When a payment is processed, this is recorded in our system as an “AUTH” request (short for authorisation).
- The settle status is used to indicate the state of the transaction.
- When a payment has been authorised by the acquiring bank, the settle status will normally be set to “0”.
- Following a successful authorisation, funds are reserved against the customer’s bank account until settlement.
- During this time, you can update or cancel the transaction (we explain how to do this below).
- Such updates can only be made when the settle status is “0” or “1”.
- Settlement typically occurs within 24 hours, but this can vary depending on the banks involved and payment method.
- Once settled, the funds will be transferred to your bank account. This updates the settle status to “100”.
- For some payment types, the transaction may have status “10”, meaning settlement is in progress but not yet complete.
- If a transaction is cancelled or a failure occurs at any point in the process, the settle status is set to “3”.
- Further actions cannot be performed and the funds will be released back to the customer’s bank account.
- If you look at the error code, you can learn the reason for any unexpected failures.
You can use MyST, our online transaction management portal, to view recent transactions processed on your Secure Trading account and perform management actions. Here’s how:
Navigate to MyST in your web browser and sign in.
From the left, click “TRANSACTIONS” to expand the menu, and then “Transaction search“.
We recommend signing in to MyST regularly to stay up-to-date with transactions that are being processed on your site reference(s).
Stay in the loop
You can configure notifications to be sent to you whenever an AUTH is processed on your site reference.
Update a transaction
When using MyST, there are certain actions that can be performed on recent transactions. Provided a payment has not yet been settled (not in settle status “100”), you can perform updates if needed by clicking the “Update” button and filling out the form presented to you.
Frequently-performed updates include:
- Updating the Settle amount to be a lower value than originally authorised.
- Updating the Settle due date to defer settlement until a later date.
- Updating the Settle status to “1” to override fraud or duplicate checks that may suspend the transaction if suspicious characteristics are identified.
- Updating the Settle status to “2” to temporarily suspend a transaction.
- Updating the Settle status to “3” to cancel a transaction (Caution: This step is final and cannot be reversed).
Processing a refund
After the funds have been settled into your bank account, you can use MyST to process a partial or full refund on a transaction. There are two methods to accomplish this:
If you have the transaction reference of the payment If you do not have the transaction reference of the payment
If you do not have the transaction reference of the payment